History of Pinewild
Marla Bay, extending from Round Hill on the South to Zephyr Cove on the north was pre-empted, along with 160 acres of land by John Marley, an English-man, in 1864 to engage in farming and ranching. He bore the doubtful distinction of being listed on the first tax role of Douglas County with a property valuation of $25.00. In 1870, Captain August W. Pray of Glenbrook bought Marley’s ranch for back taxes.
The bay continues to bear Marley’s name, which has been shortened to, “Marla”. Pray felled the choice timber and then sold to William McFaul who moved his family from Zephyr Cove in 1884. In 1890, Joe Short of Carson City took over the McFaul Ranch until 1893 when the McFaul’s returned to engage in wood brokering and ranching. In 1912, McFaul died and the ranch sold to a family by the name of Cogel. In 1922, Norman DeVaux, builder of the Devaux automobile, bought the quarter section surrounding Marla Bay. He built a private lodge on the north slope of Round Mound with bath houses and boat houses for his express cruiser, Myrno III and a mahogany run about, Apache II. After the 1929 depression, Arthur K. Bourne of the Singer Sewing Machine family, took over DeVaux’s property and by 1935 had doubled his holdings of Tahoe property. The lodge was operated as a commercial summer resort known as Round Hill Resort. Bourne built other lakefront homes north of the resort in Marla Bay.
In 1969, Kaiser-Aetna, the manufacturing and insurance firms formed a joint venture, they acquired the Marla Bay property named “PineWild” from the Bourne family expressly to build a condominium home complex on Lake Tahoe. As the economy changed, Kaiser-Aetna found its interest in real estate waning. A take-over deal was negotiated with Chuck Neff and his manufacturing company, Holland Pacific, who completed the building of PineWild.